Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pueblo Police - You can not take photos!

So here I am, driving home and I see cops, and a car partly in a building. These are the things I like to photograph. So I proceeded to take photos (All the while staying VERY out of the way) and then a female cop approaches me and tells me they are investigating and "I Don't need you taking photos" so I ask if I can stand across the way, she reluctantly said yes.
So I walk to the other curb and take an overview photo, then a male cop approaches and tells me they are investigating and if I continue they will seize my camera as evidence. I tried to state that I was not in the way, and such but it was of no use. I was told to leave, had I stayed jail was likely my next stop.

So my rights were likely violated, a complaint has been filled. What will happen? Nothing I bet.

This type of abuse by those in law enforcement is what gives them a bad name. Photography is NOT A CRIME.

Why is this such an issue?

I have heard of others being hassled (MUCH worse than this) however this is enough for me to get motivated. I will now take every chance possible to photograph cops, if they are eating, if they are doing anything...I WILL BE THERE.

Police, do some police work and leave photographers alone!

No comments: